The Image API helps get the pixels of a digital image to a client like a browser. The purpose of the Image API is to standardized way to request the needed bits of a digital image.
In this section you'll learn about version 2.1.1 of the Image API. You'll learn about:
- Why there's a need for an image API.
- Why you might want to serve your images via IIIF.
- The parameters of a IIIF image URL.
- How the
info.jsonencodes information about an image and how that information can be used.
You'll gain hands-on experience working with the Image API.
What the Image API is Not
- The Image API does not give structure for viewing a series of images.
- The Image API does not allow for showing descriptive metadata with the image.
- The Image API does not provide every possible image manipulation you might want. It is not Photoshop.